Throw an egg on it

12.10.2012

(Picture taken with my iPhone 4s)

These past few weeks, I've been trying to go back to a flexitarian diet & get rid of processed foods (check out my 30 before 30 list on the right sidebar). Most of my life, I had an obsession with vegetables. I loved vegetables and grains and meat always came second. When depression hit me a few years ago, I ate whatever I wanted and obviously I regret it. Luckily, I've been on track with my healthier eating habits. 

If you're looking for something a bit healthier to make, this might be your new go to food. I guess in real life it's called "stir fry" but you're really not frying anything besides the egg. I cook the rice in the rice cooker (usually I use brown rice but I ran out) and sautee fresh spinach and mushrooms in a pan. Cook two eggs (sometimes, I scrambled the eggs in with my veggies) and throw them on top of your finished products. I love soy sauce (which is not really healthy for you with all of that sodium) so I dash a bit of that on top when it's all done. Voila! Obviously this is nothing new. Asian recipes call for eggs on top and inside their recipes all the and I WAS getting a craving for Korean when this "home made stir fry" obsession started but whatever. Grab some veggies, cook some rice and have a go at it. But leftover rice & veggies in the fridge so you can indulge on it when you get a craving. You'll be thanking me later!

If you want to try another recipe like this and maybe have some ginger on hand, check out Smitten Kitchen's version which I just discovered this morning.

If my sisters could see me cook now, they might flip because like I said in my previous recipe for Turnip Green Soup, I am no Paula Deen! I mean, I made blackberry cobbler the other day to eat with my delicious home made Chicken Noodle Soup!

2 comments :

Lisa [at] Beauty and Her Boys said...

That looks so good & right up my alley.

Unknown said...

I absolutely ADORE your blog!

New follower!

♥, Sarah
The Life of a Redhead

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs