Happiness = Family Time

6.10.2013


I've felt like my emotional/mental health has been getting a bit better lately. I couldn't quite but my finger on why. I'm poor. I'm struggling almost every day, especially for childcare. My hours at work suck and I can barely make a wage & it's never a living wage. My son hasn't seen his father yet for the summer and I've been bummed about it. I really want him to go. Their relationship is so important to me. Just patiently waiting on that. Among other things, every day just seems to be a fight with the world. 

I was in the middle of reading The Happiness Project when I just had to stop and talk to Mike. 

"Baby, I don't know what it is but I feel really happy lately. I mean our struggles have seemed to increase more than ever and I have never been so happy."

He agreed. Something had changed in us. Our stress levels had died down. We were more lovey dovey to each other than we had ever been. It's nice to have someone tell you "I feel so in love with you today. It's stalkerish." I found myself not wanting to tie myself up in distractions and actually feel like I was spending genuine quality, uninterrupted time with my baby boy, with my family. What the heck was it? 

The only thing that changed was Mike's schedule. His days off ended up being my days off. That was so stressful when thinking about childcare. Every week I already struggle with finding weekend care and to add another two days was bleh! But every week we somehow managed and got to spend a few days together in the process. After months and months of not having a day off together, we've been spending two full days together. Do you KNOW how wonderful that feels? I even mentioned it to him that I've been feeling great the past few weeks that he's had the same days off. Spending time together, as family, is the stress reliever we needed. I'm starting to think that paying an extra amount of money for childcare or getting a second job to work in the morning will be key to maintaining our family time. It's just so necessary!


I could go on and on about how happy I feel lately but I don't want to keep repeating myself :)

6 comments :

Jenn said...

I totally understand the struggle for childcare. It's so hard. Especially when you must work! I worked so much: so many hours when my son was little. Now I'm home with him but there's the financial strain: like you said, living wages. It's nice to have someone to walk through it with you, and to know that that counts more than any of the struggles you face.

Jenn said...

I've even put myself on the state childcare assistance wait list and have yet to be approved. So hard! I'm grateful that I was with him as a baby. So very grateful! But now, when he is even more awesome, I love spending time with him. If only the world could go my way sometimes...at least job wise :)

Jenn said...

Here's to praying for a breakthrough soon! Best of luck to you, mama!

Jenn said...

So happy for you girl!!!
I use to be a stay at home mom, and my first born got to enjoy that, now with max (hes 3) he only got me for a year.. and I feel reallly bad. To the point where if I think about it long enough at night, Ill cry.
But I love the time we do have... I just want to eat him!! lol

Jenn said...

I know that feeling of struggle, however my job works me to death, and I don't get the pay I deserve for it. I wanna get another job, however with my current one working me like they do, I'll have more money, but I'll be exhausted, and I'll never see Nikki (my fiance). She and I have only been off together for two days ONCE and it may never happen ever again, so I feel your happiness as well.

Jenn said...

Sounds like you and yours are having a great time lately- and I'm so happy to hear it!! I look forward to reading more and connecting with your blogs!! I'd also love to connect with you over email and just get to know you better.

Happy blogging, dear friend!

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs